Friday, February 17, 2012

My third being 30 experience. AKA: I'm getting to old for this shit


Salamu

Admittedly my mouth is my biggest enemy and it came to haunt me this week.

I will never back down from a challenge and when my editor asked who has the cajones to cover the Unlimited Dusi Canoe Marathon I was literally jumping up and down with excitement.

Little did I know it would be three days of waking up at 3 am and cashing my ass until 1 pm hauling it back to the office and churning out stories until 6 pm or 7 pm (depending on the news day). I realized during this time that at 30 they might as well call me Jonathan “The Lion of Lebanon RogerMurtaugh” Faurie because I am getting to old for this shit.

Awesome bottom ends were the order of the day
It was amazing though I must say. On the first day I got waylaid finding Mission Rapid and got told to stop in at the Jabulani Tavern near Nkanyezini where the owner would not let me go until I heard her story and take a taxi to the rapid with some 100 supporters (spread out over six taxi’s) who were screaming ululating and blowing vuvuzela’s supporting Thulani Mbanjwa and Sibonelo Zondi.

On Day Two I caught up with a Russian family who thought (like the rest of the world) that there are lions running in the streets and that they will get mugged or killed if they set foot on our soil. But when they realized that the reality is far different from the fiction they were smiling from ear to ear. And that smile lasted for the whole race.

I won’t talk too much about this next section because then I will get a call from my little sister in Johannesburg telling me what a dirty pig I am, but the talent at the Dusi is AWESOME!

Greeting weary paddlers at the end of the days racing are the Duzi Floozies. OH MY WORD, basically they are a bunch of tanned beautifully proportioned ladies in bikinis greeting you with a smile from ear to ear and a beer at 10:30 in the morning.

Although their asset portfolio’s were not overly impressive their bottom ends were stunning.
And yours truly felt like a Greek God after getting the picture below!

Mei jua daima kuwa kabla yenu, na vivuli nyuma yako!

Spending some time with the Duzi Floozies

No comments:

Post a Comment