Monday, February 27, 2012

Expensive ass evening at the movies.


Salamu

One of the few social activities that I enjoy taking part in thoroughly is going to the movies. 

But I never realized how expensive it has become. I went with my brother and my cousin to watch the new Ghost Rider movie on the weekend and I was shocked as shit to find out that two movie tickets cost almost R100, then you need popcorn and coldrink and shit and that costs another R100 for two people. 

What the hell. a month ago one movie ticket cost R33 and it has gone up to R46! That's an increase of R13!

How the f##k these people justify this is beyond me. And it is situations such as these which make you realize why piracy is so rampant in the world today. 

I was safe because I was paying for me and my brother. But imagine now a family of four going to the movies and the two kids want to bring a friend each to the movie. That's six, R46 X 6 =  R276. Then its the popcorn and coldrink story which lets say costs R40 each (it costs more though, believe me. I'm just taking an average) R40 x 6 = R240. This means for a night out it will cost the man of the family R516. 

This is ridiculous, niggas have to now rob a bank and shit to take their family out for the evening! It aint right!

And then (depending on the movie) you have to contend with screaming teenagers [which may or may not include your own], that son of a bitch who doesn't know how to switch his phone on silent and answers his phone in the movie, that other son of a bitch that talks through the whole movie, and those c##ts who walk in once the movie has started. 

Despite this I like going to the movies, because some movies need to be seen on the big screen and not a 800 x 600 computer laptop screen. Some of these include Braveheart, The Last Samurai (which I saw 13 times in the theaters), Troy, most of the James Bond movies and The Wolf man. 

But for the cost of R249 a month (for uncapped internet access) you can download all of the movies you want and watch them in the comfort of your home where screaming teenagers can be controlled, people dont walk in late and you can have a shot of whiskey or vodka while watching the movie. 

I am, a catholic and suffer from hectic catholic guilt syndrome. So stealing to me is a sore point. Although I do have a 1 TB external hard drive at home that is packed with movies, the majority of them are old movies that are off the circuit and you will struggle to get in DVD stores. So I don't feel to bad about it. 

And then when I consider how much people are stealing from me when I buy a movie ticket my guilt is quickly gone down the tubes. 

Mei jua daima kuwa kabla yenu, na vivuli nyuma yako!

My pride and joy. Even if they are on my external harddrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment