Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding.....PLEASE END SO WE CAN GET ON WITH OUR NORMAL LIVES

Public Disclaimer
The views which are going to be presented in this post are extremely strong. Most of it is centered around the British Royal Family but is not directed at them. I am in no way, shape or form a Royal lover or hater.

The Royal Family of Britain fall into that category of society where you either love them or you hate them. They either play a meaningful part of your lives or they don't even feature.

I dear people fall in the latter sector of society and for one wish that the lanky prince would marry Ms Middleton and get over with it so that we can get on with the rest of our lives!

South Africa left the Empire in 1966, so British influence has not been a feature of South African society for a good 45 years now. But every time I turn on the radio here in Johannesburg it is an update on what the Royals think of each other, or its getting feedback from South African's camped outside the Abby, or it is how to work out what your Royal name is. You would swear that you are in downtown London!

There are bigger things to focus on then a couple getting married in England. South Africa is gearing up for local government elections and surely the time that is taken focusing on the Royal family can be better used.

And then there are those in the office where I work who are so FIXATED with the Royals that all they have been talking about for the past month is the bladdy wedding! Wondering what her dress is going to look like, wondering what the Queen is going to wear, wondering what that Poof Elton John is going to sing. One comment from her this morning pushed me COMPLETELY over the edge. "I have got my DSTV PVR set for record so that I can watch the whole thing tonight! I am so excited!" When I walked past her desk a little later I mentioned as loud as I could that I wish the wedding was over so I could hear a new topic of discussion. She is not happy with me now!

And...didn't the insistent, often times relentless media coverage of the lives of the late Princess Dianna and Prince Charles eventually lead to Dianna's death? And....is there not a strong possibility that if the media is not responsible about how they focus on the lives of William and Kate that she might end up the same way?

In no way am I wishing this on her. In fact, I hope that William and Kate have many happy years together. I am just pointing to a worst case scenario which could be more realistic then some care to admit.

I mean really, is all this hype not a bit to much? Has society degenerated itself so much that we strive every day to take Voyeurism to new heights? And be hounest, they way that the media is covering this is nothing short of Voyeuristic.

When Marshall McLuhan publicised the concept of the Global Village, he touched on the concept that the world will become smaller and it would be possible for the whole world to focus on one specific event in a single space and time. But how was he to know what society would become.

"Keeping up with the Kardashians"
"Kim and Khloe take New York"
"Girls of the Playboy Mansion"
"SnoopDogs Fatherhood"
"The Real Housewives of Orange County"
"Newlyweds"
"The Osbournes"
"Big Brother"

We have become so fixated with voyeurism that we cant get enough of how people live. We put cameras in their homes, in their lives so that the firs thing that Kim Kardashian sees when she wakes up in the morning is a camera. When she goes to the bathroom, a camera, when she showers, a camera, when she wants to spend intimate moments with her boyfriend a camera, when she wants to pump him a camera. And this is being broadcast to the rest of the world.

Often I have questioned the mentality of human kind. Firstly, what would posses a person to openly invite camera's to invade our daily lives? And secondly the mentality of these people to watch these shows every single day!

Yes, Keeping up with the Kardashian's put Kim on the map and made her a millionaire. But at what cost? She would like to think that she is this great, extreamly good looking, personality. Which she is, especially the good looking part, but she is nothing more then a slave to the media system, a puppet controlled by those who want to boost ratings.

I have a problem with my mother telling me how to live my life, imagine if I had the media doing it?

At the end of the day, humans have degenerated society so much that it is controlled by the media and the public's insatiable appetite for Voyeurism. But be warned.....all of this comes at a price!

No comments:

Post a Comment