Friday, March 23, 2012

Wild Boys.


Salamu

When I lived in Dubai I worked with a rather large individual who used to play European Style American  Football. Because of this he was a bit besotted with the American version of the sport. 

Because this was so accessible in Dubai I also became a fan and am very partial to the Denver Bronco's, Dallas Cowboys and the Cincinnati Bengals (I just wish that one of these teams would make the Super Bowel in my lifetime). 

My colleges teams were the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Indianapolis Colts, but his real passion lay in College Football. 

Superman changed a lot since his return from Krypton.
I could never understand this...why be more partial to a bunch of kids who are learning their trade throwing around the pig skin over guys like Reggie Bush or Eli Manning? I mean  do you see college kids DALAing Kim Kardashian? Mind you...you don't see Reggie Bush waxing that ass either. 

We digress, the point I was trying to make is that I never could understand his obsession with the College level of the game. Until now. 

My cousin is in high school here in sunny Durban and he plays rugby for one of the top rugby schools in the country. I went and watched him play twice now and have found that I am as big a fan of the school boy game then of mainstream rugby. The pride and passion of the boys is very infectious. I even find myself looking forward to the next Westville Boys fixture when I drive past the school. 

When I watched their opening fixture against Glenwood the whole school came out to support the team. There were bands, war cries and proud parents shouting their boys on as well as giving each other a bit of shit on the side lines. 

I realised that I missed that at school. Don't get me wrong, I loved my high school rugby career, but if we got 100 people to watch us and cheer us on it was a lot. If i could go back and change anything it would be getting more people to come and watch me play rugby at high school. 

I now find myself agreeing with my work college that junior levels of the game can be just as exciting if not more so then the real thing. 

GO WESTVILLE!

Mei jua daima kuwa kabla yenu, na vivuli nyuma yako!

No comments:

Post a Comment