Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Truths about life.


Salamu

Before I forget. Big props to my South African audience for going over the 3 000 visitors mark. And possibly by the time this post is a day old I will have 6 000 visitors from the US. 

Shot Boys. 

I am a bit obsessive about certain things. One of those is my mad love for Bob Marley. Besides the fact that he sang Reggae and there were RUMORS that he smoked a pond o' weed a day, the life lessons that the man gave us is at times unfathomable. 

Some lyrics from his song war: 

Until the philosophy which hold one race superior 
And another 
Inferior 
Is finally 
And permanently 
Discredited 
And abandoned - 
Everywhere is war - 
Me say war. 

This is very true for South Africa during the Apartheid years or even Rwanda during the genocide between the Hutus and the Tutsis.

That until there no longer 
First class and second class citizens of any nation 
Until the colour of a man's skin 
Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes - 
Me say war. 

That until the basic human rights 
Are equally guaranteed to all, 
Without regard to race - 
Dis a war. 

Is there no more significant time to reflect on these words then right now while there is big shit kicking of in Syria?

Granted, Marley's song WAR (where the above lyrics come from) is an adaptation of a speech made by Emperor  Haile Selassie I who the Rastafarian's saw as the Messiah. But Selassie said it, Marley sang about it. And there is a big difference between the two!

I knew quite a bit about Marley going into watching the Biography titled Marley. As I have said on my blog before, reading the book: No Woman, No Cry: My Life with Bob Marley Rita Marley, Hettie Jones provides thoughtful insight into the life of the man. But I have a new appreciation for the man after watching Marley (which I highly recommend by the way). 

In the Biography. The interviewer was sitting down with Bob and talking to him about the attempted shooting on him. The interviewer asked if Bob was afraid. He said that he doesn't live in fear because his life is not his own. He lives life to make other peoples life meaningful.

Now for a Rastafarian, he lives out the Christian principle of helping and serving the poor far better than a number of Christians I know. 

I know this post is very long and quite possibly laborious. And it might not even appeal to a person who is not a Bob Marley fan.  But the point I am trying to make is that people....we must open our eyes to the world....because you never know who touches a cord inside you to make life more clear. More meaningful. 



Mei jua daima kuwa kabla yenu, na vivuli nyuma yako!

No comments:

Post a Comment