Saturday, September 29, 2012

Series is the name of the game in 2012


Salamu

My Niggas!

It feels like I haven't updated my blog in years, meanwhile I updated on September 11 and 12. The major thing that has happened is that I have reached over 3 000 page views on the site. Asante to all of those involved and lets hope we have many more views before the year is out. 

My love for movies has been very well documented on this blog. One just has to look at one of the sidebars of the right of my blog to see a list of some of my all time favorites. There have been some really epic years for movies, unfortunately 2012 was not one of them. In fact, the best movie of the year thus far has been the Avengers and the Spiderman reboot. There was a lot of noise being made about the Dark Knight Rises, but like the Shakespearean Classic....it was a much ado about nothing. 

But it has been a year when I have rediscovered my love for series. Although True Blood is getting weirder and weirder, it is still awesome and I am still a die hard fan (unashamedly). I am looking forward to Season 6 which is coming out next year.

Actually 2013 is going to be a epic year for TV series (assuming we survive the Mayan Apocalypse), True Blood Season 6 is coming out at about the same time as the third season of another one of my favorite series....Game of Thrones. But the biggest one to look forward is the Sixth season of Sons of Anarchy.

Up until two months ago True Blood and Game of Thrones were my favorite series, but then I got hold of the Sons of Anarchy and I was hooked! 

Once again, the reasons for the series success is simple....

The Story Line and Club Issues are REAL: There are no vampires or werewolves involved. There are no wildlings. Its about running guns and drugs and gang rivalry. REAL LIFE SHIT. 

There is Amazing Character Development: Jackson Teller is the modern day Shakespearean hero. In the beginning he is utterly devoted to the club. Then he finds his dead fathers manuscript  and its like his father is talking to him from the grave. He goes on a crusade not to question the club, but to question the path that the club is going down. His son gets kidnapped and he wants to leave the thug life. But you don't choose the thug life, the thug life chooses you, when he finds out that Clay offed his old man there is fire and brimstone and the young bull flexes his muscle. Tara Knowles is the next Adrian Balboa, she is so in love with Jax that she puts up with the shit that goes on to stand behind her man. But there are times when she shows an uncertainty where she wants to leave because its whats best for the kids. Clay Morrow changes from this strong fatherly figure that holds SAMCRO together to this disease that eats away at the soul of the club. You end up secretly wishing that Opie's bullets do actually kill him rather than just injure him permanently. 

You can learn a lot about life by watching the Sons of Anarchy: Granted, the normal run-of-the-mill Average Joe cant merely run guns and coke like SAMCRO and not end up six feet under. But what the show does teach us is that one cannot spend ones life running, the secret to life is making the best out of heavy situations. 

I am halfway through season 4 and have been able to keep up to date with season 5. So I might have to neglect my heavy social life one weekend in favor of being a recluse to finish season 4 and three episodes of season 5. 

But there is also Person of Interest which is amazing and the first episode of a new series that I downloaded yesterday: Last Resort. 

Last Resort looks a bit like its a bit of a far fetched situation that the series is set in, but once again, its appealing to me because there are no vampires, werewolves and wildlings. It will be interesting to see how the series develops. Cant wait. 

Just a note on Last Resort. I say its a bit of a far fetched situation, but I am sure there are a few people in India who secretly go to bed at night hoping that someone blows up a certain neighbor who gives them border issues every now and then. 

Till next time my Niggas!

Mei jua daima kuwa kabla yenu, na vivuli nyuma yako!


1 comment: