Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Testing a theory


Salamu

My Niggas!

As you all will know, I am a very analytical person obsessed with knowing as much as I can about a certain subject. I also like to test certain theories as well as formulate my own theory and test its probability.

So then…this post is going to test a theory. I will explain the theory at the end of the post.

I have written in the past about how I have been taken down memory lane from time to time and I quite enjoyed it. But nothing has given me such a pleasurable trip down memory lane than the latest addition to my latest area of interest…the 2012 continuation of my favorite TV series of all time DALLAS.

Yes it is back and the question had to be asked. Is the 2012 continuation as good as the original series which aired from 1978 to 1991 which included an amazing 357 episodes.

Good Old JR. The most hated man in Texas
In the original series the story centered around Bobby Ewing and good old JR Ewing and their different views on business and how to conduct it. It is like that classical cartoon image of a person sitting down approaching a problem with an angel on his left shoulder giving him good advice and a devil on his right shoulder giving him somewhat questionable advice. Bobby was the angel while JR was the devil.

In the 2012 continuation series the story is centered around John-Ross Ewing III and Christopher Ewing (John Ross III being the son of JR and Christopher the adopted son of Bobby) and like their fathers the son have inherited the same personality traits.

What made the original series so compelling is how bad JR was. You wanted to tune in to see who he has pissed off or who wants to kill him, yet you know deep down inside that Dallas would not be Dallas without him. Another reason why the show was so good was because JR and Bobby were such polar opposites. In the continuation series, John Ross III is bad but not as bad as his daddy. And Christopher is good but not as good as his daddy.

Julie Gonzalo acting like a boss!
I like the 2012 continuation series, but it is unfair to compare it to the original which lasted 13 years. It is. So we have to go to the women to see if they clinch it for me.

In the original series we had Sue Ellen and a number of ladies who played the love interest of Bobby (who is currently on wife number 3 provided he survives the brain tumor that has in him in hospital in the 2012 series. I haven’t got to Episode 10 yet)

Not much can be said for the ladies from the original series from my side because I was a youngster and only concentrated on JR and Bobby. However, the woman in the continuation series are quite something.

The continuation series has Elena Ramos and Rebecca Barns/Ewing/Sutter. In a complete twist from the original series we see how Rebecca has become the snake in the grass that JR was in the past and this was a pleasant surprise. The battle with conscience that she has throughout the series is excellent and the fact that they put it down to her ‘brother’ Tommy up until Episode 10 when she reveals herself as the daughter of the Ewing’s biggest enemy Cliff Barnes is a STROKE OF GENIUS!

Bringing a bit more Latino to Texas. Again...like a boss!
And lets also just say that Jordana Brewster and Julie Gonzalo are much more pleasing on the male eye than Linda Grey and Victoria Principal ever were.

But does this clinch the deal? Do the ladies make the 2012 continuation of Dallas better than the original series? Again it’s a tough one and I am undecided.

So it comes to this my friends. Because I am such a fan of Dallas I am prepared to do this. 

I am in the process of sourcing all of the 14 original seasons as we speak. So…anon…I will have the 357 original episodes. Added to the 10 episodes from the 2012 continuation season I will have 367 episodes of Dallas. That’s an episode a day for a year. For my New Year’s Resolution I will embark on: My Year in Dallas where I will watch an episode a day for a year to settle this debate.
Charline Tilton. No doubt a big reason why
a lot of men watched Dallas

I will give updates during the year and we will touch base in 2014 (assuming we survive the Mayan Apocalypse) for the definitive answer.

Now time for the theory….

When the producers of Dallas got the original cast together for a reunion in 2008, Ken Kercheval said that he was surprised at how much staying power Dallas had when he saw the crowd gathered to participate in the reunion event. So let’s test his theory. We all know that Dallas was popular, and we all know my blog posts about FHM models are more popular than my other posts (thanks to all the dirty bastards out there) so can the fact that I am writing about Dallas mean that I can reach 100 page views on a post not related to an FHM model. Kercheval’s theory says that I will.

Footnote: Notable mention needs to be made to Jordana Brewster for achieving what no other cast member of Dallas could...making it big on the Big Screen (as Mia Toretto in the Fast and Furious franchise) and the small screen. Honorable mention must also go to Charline Tilton and how beautiful she was back in the day. No doubt she was a big reason a lot of men watched the programme. 

Till next time my Niggas!

Mei jua daima kuwa kabla yenu, na vivuli nyuma yako!


No comments:

Post a Comment