Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lack of Respect destroys communities


Salamu

My Niggas!

So finally Canada got with the programme and have over 1 000 page views.

But this is not my topic for the day. I have always been outspoken about my views on living life without fear. I mean what it the point of living life looking every corner for danger or not trying new experiences? However, there is a line that needs to be drawn where living without fear borders on living without respect. And that my friends is a very fine line to tread, especially when it borders on no respect for authority.

There is an alarming increase in the number of Project X parties happening in South Africa. What is a Project X Party you ask. Well...Please see the trailer below:



Basically it was a movie. And as with all movies it is a FICTIONAL account of an event that has been popularized for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. But these thundercats don't know that there is a difference between fantasy and reality so they are now throwing their own Project X Parties where they jump off roofs onto jumping castles or try to fit 900 people into someones house. Whats scary is that this is being done without parents knowledge and with no older supervision. Alcohol and Recreational Drugs are freely available at these parties where the age range is from as young as 13 to as old as 20.

Now this to me is nothing more than a bunch of young punk ass kids who have nothing better to do with their lives than do some stupid shit. Now before you start giving me the lecture...yes I was young once. in a previously written blog post (http://shalafain.blogspot.com/2012/02/one-wild-night-in-mulbarton.html) I went into some detail as to what I got up to in my youth. And yes it got a bit wild. But 30 people is a hell of a lot less than 900 people. There was drinking so I'm not going to criticize bout that. But not once did we ever think bout doing drugs.

It comes down to respect. When we were organizing these parties and mobilizing the  troops we were always conscious about the fact that we didn't own the shit in the house and at the end of the day we would have to answer to a higher authority, so we always did things within the parameters of respect. Who do these thundercats respect? They don't even respect themselves! Who the hell in their right mind jumps off a roof onto a jumping castle?Or drives their dads car into a swimming pool?

It also comes down to bad parenting. There are no problem kids in this world. Only problem parents. You are obviously not doing a good job if your kids don't respect your authority. Now I'm not saying parents should go Gestapo on their kids. But there needs to be enough authority to know that if kids are going to be doing some stupid shit then their parents are going to rain some hell down on them!

Another area of no respect is during the Marikana Massacre. For those who don't know about it. 20 000 mine workers went on strike at Lonmin's Marikana Mine in the North West Province because they wanted a pay increase. This is all good and well. South Africa's constitution protects a persons right to strike and every person has the right to earn a decent wage in order to support their families. But something somewhere along the line went wrong because all of a sudden we are seeing these people striking with traditional weapons (Asagai's, Knobkieries, Panga's). Since when do you strike about wages with traditional weapons? Lonmin got a bit scared so they call in the Law.

Picture the scene there are 20 000 protesters (most with traditional weapons but some with Gats that have live ammo) against 5 00 cops. That means for every cop (1 cop) there were 40 protesters.  On what tured out to be the last day of the protest this is what happened:



You can clearly see that the cops followed procedure by A)forming up in a line, B) Keeping a distance between them and the protesters, and C) following the Rules of Engagement which say that you must not fire unless you are fired upon. What do you expect the cops to do? They have families to. They have kids to go home to as well. If I am a cop and a protester is shooting at me trying to take my life I will shoot that bastard down.

This comes down to the fact that people don't respect the police in this country. I do understand that there are more dirty cops in this country than clean ones and yes to an extent I do agree with the sentiment of how can you be expected to respect the police if the majority of the force is dirty. But people, please get off your high horses and think sensibly for two seconds. If nobody respects the police the country will descend into anarchy and we will become the next Syria. Even if its hard and even of you are unsure about who to trust, you need to respect: A) the law of the country and B) the people who enforce the law.

You know....I loved Dubai. But all my time there a piece of me missed my country. To be home. To be with family. To be with friends. To be around South African culture. And to see my country turning into this makes me sad. It really does.

Please people. Listen to Jerry Springer: Take care of yourselves...and each other.

Till next time my Niggas!

Mei jua daima kuwa kabla yenu, na vivuli nyuma yako!

No comments:

Post a Comment