Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Landmarks and Home Coming Greatness!


Salamu. 


As I write this post I may have my 4 000th page view from the USA. Well done guys, MASSIVE BIG UP'S.


Once again this blog was inspired by true events. A friend of mine from work recently visited her old country India and began a 24 hour long journey back to South Africa, which included a 10 hour stop over at the Dubai International Airport. 


Tharuna, my friend in question, posted on Face Book that she could kiss the ground at OR Thambo International (in Johannesburg). This brought back memories of my various home coming's from my travels and similar feelings of utter joy when landing home. 


The most memorable time was flying into JHB via Nairobi Kenya on Kenya Airways. It was a midmorning flight and it was as hot as shit outside. About an hour into the flight, as we were flying over Tanzania, the plane shut down at 30 000 feet and free fell for a few seconds. Now you know its some scary shit when the cabin crew shit themselves, because they have seen it all before, the complexions of these dark African ladies turned as white as ghosts and one of them even dropped her beverage tray. 


The plane eventually rebooted and started to climb again, and our pilot Captain Morgan (I am not joking, that was his name) came over the PA system and apologised for flying into a severe thunderstorm that the radar never picked up! WHAT RADAR WERE THEY USING? THE ONE INVENTED BY NOAH WHEN HE LAUNCHED THE ARK? 


In between watching Days of Our Lives and Cheaters (which was dubbed into Swahili) the flight wasn't all bad as I had a cute brunette sitting near me and we spent most of the flight swoping stories.

As we were coming into OR Thambo it was pissing with rain, and there was a strong tailwind on the runway. So the rocket scientist Captain Morgan misjudged his  landing and had to climb the aircraft and try it again. Do you know hoe scary it is to go from landing at 800 km/h to climbing at 800 km/h in a matter of a few seconds? I was hurling abuse at the man like he has never heard in his life. 


When we did land I, like Tharuna, kissed the ground of my home country. 


The second part of this blog relates to a comment left on Tharuna's status by her friend Revanidhi Kullan. In response to Tharuna's expression of joy, Revanidhi said: I'm coming home! Im coming home! Tell the world Im coming home!

This reminded me about a wonderful story involving  boxing promoter Don King.  

He was coming to South Africa to promote a fight. And like all African American's coming to AF-RIKA is a big thing!

So he gets off the plane with his stuffed up hairstyle holding miniture US flags in his hands flashing peace signs screaming at the top of his voice: I'm home everybody! Im home! Tell the world Im home!

Now shouting that shit at OR Thambo was not enough. King whent straight from there to Soweto where again he walked through the streets screaming: I'm home everybody! Im home! Tell the world Im home!

He then whent to Winnie Mandela's house and screamed from the gate of her property: I'm home Winnie! HEY WINNIE...ITS DON KING! Im home Winnie! Open up!

Winnie did eventually open up, for her security guards to tell King to stand on the other side of the street before they shoot him. 


When I interviewed King in Dubai I asked him about the incident and he said: "What Winnie did was unnecessary! She was very angry that day! I have never been cussed at so much in my life then on that day in So-Whe-To!"


I have never been cussed at so much in my life then on that day in So-Whe-To

No comments:

Post a Comment