Thursday, September 8, 2011

Unpacking why the IT world is dominated by Asians

Salamu.

I consider myself a man of the world because of my wide travel experience and interactions with other cultures. Particularly African cultures.

Because of this, not much surprises me. I won’t say that I have seen it all, but I have seen enough to not be surprised by shit.

But there is one thing which surprises me, perplexes me even. Why is every individual that works in IT Asian. Guaranteed they are either Chinese, Indian or Pakistani. This is unless you go to Dubai where the Chinese, Indians and Pakistani’s are the hard laborers, but this is a discussion for another day.

I don’t mean this to be racist in any way shape or form, it just surprises me. I put this out on Face Book and it led into the debate about where interests lie.
I asked an Asian friend of mine, who is Chinese, why every IT person is Asian and he replied that it is because they are clever and brilliant and stuff.

Although the Asians are very clever, I also think it has to do with areas of interest. I mean…when is South Africa going to produce its first Chinese cricket player or Indian rugby player? He agreed and then asked when is South Africa going to produce its first white gymnast.

This then sparked off a whole new debate because I told him that this was not possible because, as a rule of thumb, South African women are more athletically built then their Asian counterparts. This dates back to most Afrikaans families having German or Dutch heritage.

Again, I am not being racist or even chauvinistic about this. In my opinion athletically built women are FAR more attractive then these supple Nadia Comaneci types. If you had to put two posteriors in front of me one with a supple Asian like build and another a more athletic build…Ill hit the athletic build ass every single time!

It’s funny how it is hard to break the cycle with this. And Africa has a plethora of different builds. As a rule the Zambians are of medium height and build. The Congolese (from the DRC) are short, the Kenyans are these tall lanky people while the Zimbabweans and the Mozambiquans are medium height but strongly built.

No comments:

Post a Comment