Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Why Reggae is Great!

Salamu

Before you continue: Hit a pause on the last song please. BLADDY MP3 RAID. LAST TIME I AM LINKING THEM TO MY SITE!

This is a traditional Swahili greeting...I am greeting the Lions Den massive in this way in preparation of hitting Lusaka tonight...HARD! Like only the Lion of Lebanon knows how.

I have very fond memories of my last trip to Zambia, primarily because like me, the Zambian are Rasta's at heart with peace and love for mankind the foremost qualities which are reflected in their everyday lives.

This may have a bit to do with the staple of Zambian radio airplay:– Reggae music. My favorite genre.

I am questioned everyday about why I like what people have unfairly labeled 'drug addict music', well its because this 'drug addict music' has more meaning attached to it then your 'sober mans music'

Take Bob Marley, the pearls of wisdom's from his songs are legendary. In Buffalo soldier he said: If you know your history, you will know where you're coming from. Then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the hell you think I am. Again in Redemption Song he says: Emancipate yourself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds. He later asks: How long shall dey kill our prophets while we stand aside and look?

Alot of people think that Redemption Song was the man's Last Will and Testament as he was in the last ravages of the cancer which was killing him. But like Eddy Grants: Gimme Hope Joanna Redemption song is an Anti-Apartheid song, albeit alot more subtle then Gimme Hope Joanna.

People should listen to reggae more because there are alot of cultural references there in which makes the genre more then a 'Time and Place' genre.

I take you dear readers back to an Establishment in Dubai called Scarlets. A good friend of myne Candice and Myself were hitting the bar and the dance floor HARD when the DJ played Gimme Hope Joanna. I told Candice that this takes me back to SA and she asked why. I was aghast that she had NEVER payed attention to the lyrics before so I told her to listen closely.



I will post the words of the first verse for you to follow:
Well Jo'anna she runs a country She runs in Durban and the Transvaal She makes a few of her people happy, oh She don't care about the rest at all She's got a system they call apartheid It keeps a brother in a subjection But maybe pressure can make Jo'anna see How everybody could a live as one

This song also takes me back to a party at a South African Establishment called Back of the Moon. In 2005 the Establishment used to host SA Idols parties where guest artists would perform along with Idol participants. Dr Victor and the Rasta Rebels do a cover of Gimme Hope Joanna and were performing on the night myself and a couple of mates were there. When they belted out this track the crowd went mad, arranged themselves in lines with military precision and proceeded to Square Dance to Gimme Hope Joanna.

One song...transcending two genre's. However I don't know how well the Rednecks in Louisiana or New Orleans will take to this info.

You see...to me Reggae is so much more then Time and Place specific. Its the type of music that appeals to all ages, and is the ultimate feel good party music.

And there is a bit for every one.

For the revolutionaries:


For the Drunkards:


The lovers:




Those who have just broken up with someone:


free music downloads | music videos | pictures

Until later: Keep Da Fait Mon! Don Let No Body Pull Ya Down in Dem Dumps!
I hope this proves my point that Reggae is a staple of my world and should be a staple in every man and womans to!

No comments:

Post a Comment