Monday, June 6, 2011

Getting down to business. Word of the Day Feaure

So I rose to the challenge and survived a post where I could not: cuss (swear), refer to women in a 'derogatory' manner (not that I was doing that anyway) and post pictures of women in revealing outfits on my blog (a sin which I was admittedly guilty of).

Right now down to business.

I was inspired to write this blog post by three events which happened to me over the past few days.

The first: I was driving through downtown Johannesburg [affectionately known by all as TOWN] the other day [Saturday] (decently I might add obeying all the rules of the road for a change) when a taxi cut me off. I blew my hooter and swore at him and his mother very very badly (all in Arabic)! His response to me was rather disturbing – Taxi Driver: "Bhebha Umlungu! Izingalangala!" I was NOT impressed! At ALL!

What's sad is that I understood every word this hubid shouted at me. Because South Africa is so cosmopolitan you come into contact with other languages so often, it becomes very hard for people to express themselves or talk smack about you without you understanding them.

The second: Is a combination of Snoop Dogs Fatherhood where he features a word of the day where the main man himself basically explains a street word to the masses, and watching Roberto Rodriguez's Machete where you hear a lot of Street Spanish.

And finally The third: While writing this very post a girl who works with me is busy trying to track down a potential new source and she says MENOPAUSE just loud enough so that those around her can hear her. I'm sorry TMI thank you very much.

This brings me to the purpose of my post: Wouldn't it be nice to express yourself in a way that only you and a few select others can understand and the rest of the general populace is none the wiser? Ladies and Gentlemen, Damas y Caballeros, I bring you Shalafian's word of the day.

I already have a dictionary at the bottom but these words are never featured in their own post where they and their application are explained, needless to say we will now be expanding this dictionary once a week!

Today's word: Panocha (pronounced BA-NO-CHIA)

This is Spanish for a person who is scared of things...you know the type of person you would call the other name for a cat!

Example:

Man 1: "No man I aint getting on no plane!"
Man 2: "Panocha!"

Ill even hit you with a double whammy today just because I am so kind.

Today's second word: Cabron (pronounced: CUB-RON)

This is Spanish for a man/woman who is born and no one knows who the father is.

Street talk is great isn't it!

Example:

Gangster: "You are trying my patience here Cabron. Either you talk or we break your toes one-by-one.

Cabron sounds so awesome when Steven Segal says it. Because even when he is PISSED OFF too the stage where he is spitting blood. He still says everything only a few decibels over a whisper and in a tone which suggests that he is in a deep state of calm meditation! All of this with a Poker Face of course!

So straight to Shalafian's dictionary they will go.

HEHEHEHEHEHE (naughty evil laugh): You know what I just realised...what if one acquired a cat and called him/her Panocha. I am SO going to call my cat that should I ever acquire one! And it wont be derogatory...its like naming a Dog:Dog or a Bird:Bird. Actually wait....it is rather inappropriate because proper Espaniol for cat is: Gato....but Ill still call him/her Panocha.

PANOCHA! What a classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment