Monday, June 13, 2011

Pride at work and personal travel essentials

Marhaba.

So the countdown to Zambia is finally here. This time tomorrow I will (unfortunately) still be at my desk at work making sure that I have all the relevant documentation necessary for my trip.

Unfortunately the PANOCHA'S arraigning my travel schedule saw it fit to book me on the LAST FLIGHT from Ortia to Lusaka which departs at 18:55 pm. This means that I have to be in the office tomorrow until at least 3 pm. Like hell (I was so tempted to use a more offensive word here which rhymes with duck and begins with an F...but I have promised a certain female friend of mine who works with me to try and 'mend my ways' as it where) will my company get any work out of me tomorrow. I'm already working on Youth Day, which is a public holiday in South Africa and my employer seems to feel feathers about that fact!

This P.I.S.S.E.S M.E O.F.F!

I am very funny when it comes to situations such as this. I can either be your best friend...or your worst enemy! And being on my bad side is not a place where you want to be because you will have too walk through hell to move away from it! Trust me!

The funny thing is, I was never like this in the past, I was always calm...placid...and quick to forgive. However, the break up from my ex-girlfriend, and the events which led thereto, taught me differently. I suppose its one of those life lessons that you learn which gives you scars that you will carry around with you for the rest of your life. But one of my favorite philosophers, Khalil Gibran, said: Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls, massive characters are seared with scars. In the past I adopted a philosophy of: Live and Let Live. Now I am more of a: Once Bitten...Twice Shy person. And I hate people who intentionally try and screw others without so much as a bad feeling about it!

This is all besides the point of today's post.

The first topic is one which is very dear to my heart and stems from a life motto which was instilled into me by my parents and grandparents.

Although Eleanor and Tracy are good friends of mine in the office, they are not my closest confidant at the office. This title belongs to a girl who started working at the office on the same day as me, so we have been friends for over four years now. We always go for coffee breaks at work together where we discuss a number of topics. Today she had a bit of a rant because the Rocket Scientists who work our switch-board keep putting through the wrong phone calls to her. Now Chanel is not the rudest person in the world and doesn't mind helping people. But if you piss her off she is a Wild Cat! When I pressed her further about the call she said that the person on the other end of the line didn't ask to speak to anyone in particular the call was just put through to her.

I'm sorry this is just a case of having a Don't Care attitude where: I am the lowest educated employee at the office so why should I take pride in my work.

Public disclaimer time people: Some sections of this post may refer to African people in a way that in South Africa's past may seem racist. In no way am I myself a racist, I have many close African friends whom I care for immensely. This information applies to the MINORITY of the South African black population as opposed to the MAJORITY.

Needless to say that the said Rocket Scientist at our reception is an African Lady (fact) and she has embraced a 'Black South African Chip On My Shoulder' attitude and arrogance associated with her bearing in society. This is a legacy of the new government where the ANC said 17 years ago that black people are ENTITLED to respect where they don't have to work for it.

And this is not an isolated incedent. When I was in the Kruger Park in October a yank who was doing a tour of the whole Park...North-through to-South told me that he was so surprised at the arrogance of the black people in South Africa.

Here I must agree with my Yank associate. Some black people in South Africa are ARROGANT AS SHIT and in my opinion, no matter what happened in the past, People are not entitled to shit! If you want a top position in a company you WORK for it. If you want respect you must EARN it. The only thing that arrogant people are entitled to in my opinion is a good old fashioned ASS WOOPPING. WHOOP HIS ASS LIKE A GOVERNMENT MULE!

I can still hear my grandfather now: Finish what you start...A man that cant be depended on is worthless in this world. Take pride in everything that you do...A man without pride is a man without heart. Work hard...The world is a cruel place NOTHING will be handed to you on a silver platter.

And you will be surprised at how many Black South Africans do not take pride in their work because they are employed in a lower position when they feel that they are entitled to better.

In the past a gardener was a gardener. Now days people are saying that you should employ gardeners that come from Zimbabwe or Mozambique because they are the hardest workers. this implies that South African gardeners have a 'Black South African Chip On My Shoulder' attitude and arrogance and are lazy.

The second topic of the day relates to my travels and a post that I did on African travel essentials. Well lets have a look at personal travel essentials.

Everybody has their own travel essential items mine is a good book and some good movies.

I am currently on a re-read of Tom Harper's trilogy relating to the First Crusade. For some reason I found the first book laborious on the first read but compelling on the re-read. It also makes a difference when you read the books in the correct order. On the first read I purchased the last book in the series then the second and then the first and that was the order in which they were read. So this time I did the sane thing and read: The Mosaic of Shadows...then Knights of the Cross...and now The Siege of Heaven. I am at an important part in the last book The Siege of Heaven where the Calif of Egypt has sent the ambassadors from Byzantium and the 'Army of God' to his hunting retreat along the southern banks of the Nile to be executed.

I visited Stalker on the weekend...in between getting a bit hammered at Hooters and watching the rugby at Ellis Park... and refreshed my movie database. What I am completely stoked about is acquiring the First, Second, and Third season of True Blood! MY WORD...I had forgotten how delectable Anna Paquin (Sookie Stackhouse in the series) was until I started watching Season 1 after first seeing it in 2008. AIRA! Makes me want to become a vampire.

It has a very gritty and often times adult themed story line, but has a bit more substance then My Name is Earl another Southern Themed series. And besides...who would you rather like to look at? Anna Paquin or Jamie Pressly? For their acting abilities of course.

I just wish Anna would sort out her buck-teeth. I was watching X-Men Last Stand last night on E TV with a Russian Bear Vanilla Vodka in my hand and was wondering the whole movie why the character Rogue looked so familiar. At the end of the movie she flashed this huge ear-to-ear smile and I screamed out in the biggest Hillbilly accent I could muster: Is that you Sookie Stackhouse? Id recognize those beautiful buck-teeth anywheres! She could be diguised as a green alian with blue hair and I will recognize her just by her buck-teeth!

So in my down time when Zambian TV is crappy I will be forging through The Siege of Heaven and Season 1 of True Blood which reminds me that I need to take my Doxitab tonight before the Mosquito's have a right royal time of infecting my thick white-ass with Maleria (which incidentally kills more people in Africa every year then AIDS or TUBERCULOSIS making the Mosquito Africa's most dangerous animal!)

No comments:

Post a Comment